Countdown to Halloween

Daisypath Halloween tickers
Daisypath Vacation tickers

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The first broken bone...

Well, it's finally happened, our first broken bone. I am not one bit surprised that it happened to Kira. She is CRAZY! She will try anything and has no fear- well, maybe now she does. Anyway, it happened on Saturday afternoon. I was trying to get dinner ready, Terry had just gotten home from work and was changing into something more comfortable than his suit pants and button up shirt. The kids were running around outside, in and out of the house and just having a good time. Then, the doorbell rang. I thought it was just one of the kids and took my time getting to the door, I was in a hurry to get dinner ready since I had work at 5 pm. I opened the door and there was Kira screaming in my neighbor's arms. "She fell off the wall onto our driveway." Here, I took a picture so you would have an idea of where she fell.
She fell before this fence got put up, fyi.

Anyway, I honestly couldn't find any visible scrapes, so after holding her and giving her kisses, I went back to making dinner. Kira was NOT happy. She cried and cried and cried. She kept saying her right arm hurt and she refused to try to eat dinner with it. I almost called DQ and told them they would have to do without me that night, but Terry said to just go ahead and he would take her into Urgent Care. I hated to leave, but sometimes you just don't have much of a choice...
I missed everything that happened at Urgent Care, but Terry says she was really brave and they found two little fractures just above her wrist on her right arm. They put a soft cast on her and sent them on their way. Terry says the nurse, doctor and receptionists were all super nice and spoiled the kids rotten with little toys and Popsicles. I thought it was so awesome of them to be so helpful as Terry was all alone on this one. Of course when they were done they had to come get a treat at DQ and show off her cast to me and everyone else working that night. Kira was a real trooper and seemed happy and normal- like nothing had even happened. That night she slept all night long, I'm sure she was exhausted. It was the next night that things got a little hairy. We had given her a dose of Tylenol that afternoon and she was due for another dose at 11 pm. I didn't want to wake her up to take it and she had slept fine the night before, so I didn't worry too much about it. At about 1 am, she woke up crying and I immediately gave her another dose. I knew it would take a while to kick in and she was still pretty upset, so I turned on an episode of Dora (her most favorite show ever!) hoping it would take her mind off the pain and thinking that she would be feeling better by the end of it. (It was even an extra long episode, I think around 45 mins. or so.) But, even Dora could not make her feel better or distract her enough. She whimpered and squirmed and cried the whole time and it was so so sad to watch. Ya know, it's kind of exciting when something like this happens, something that you know can be fixed and it will be fun to have everyone write on her cast and have some attention on her for a while. I know that sounds awful, but what can I say? It's honest. I guess it's great until you see the effects of it and experience the not fun parts. I absolutely hated watching her be in so much pain like that. It was HOURS before the Tylenol finally kicked in, some of the hardest hours of my life.
Anyway, we get a hard cast on her on Saturday and I will post some more pictures of that later. Here's some of her in her soft cast.
Terry told her to make a frowny face on this one, she's pretty good at faking those.



Suffice it to say she is getting lots of love right now and she's already insisting that her hard cast be PINK! Thanks a bunch to our awesome neighbors who have spent many hours today and yesterday putting up a fence to make it safer. We love you Kira!

2 comments:

Ann said...

What a story! That was so nice of your neighbors to put up that fence so it wont happen again. I hope the healing will go quickly and you don't have too many more bad nights with her!

Maria Bradley said...

Wow - poor Kira! I hope everything goes well ;) I agree with Ann - amazing that your neighbors were so quick to put up a fence, very cool! Good luck with everything!!